In order to obtain admissions into M. Sc., joint M. Sc. – Ph. D, M. Sc. – M. Tech., as well as other courses, you need to first go through the Joint Admission Test. This test is conducted by the IITs and IISc. For the year 2017, IIT Bombay conducted the examination.
What is the IIT JAM?
IIT JAM 2018 is an open exam for all Indian and foreign nationals. Only eligible candidates are given the green signal to go ahead and answer the test. You need to register online to appear for the test.
To qualify for IIT JAM, you need to possess a bachelor’s degree where you obtained a minimum of 55% aggregate marks. This applies for all general/OBC-NCL categories, while candidates from the ST/SC and PwD categories need to have obtained at least 50% aggregate marks. To apply for the examination, you need to offer proof showing that you have passed the qualifying degree, till September 2018.
You can apply for the exam through the JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS). After you meet the eligibility criteria, through the online mode, you need to submit the required documents, along with the application fee.
What is the Exam Pattern Like?
There will be seven test papers, also known as the subjects for the IIT JAM 2018. These subjects include Physics (PH), Mathematics (MA), Biological Sciences (BL), Chemistry (CY), Biotechnology (BT), Mathematical Statistics (MS), and Geology (GG).
A few things that you should keep in mind when it comes to the IIT JAM 2018 are as following:
- The medium of all the seven papers will be English only, and the question papers will not be available in any other language.
- In total, each candidate has to answer 60 questions that carry a total of 100 marks.
- The entire duration of the IIT JAM will be about three hours.
- The IIT JAM is a computer-based test (CBT).
- There are three sections in the test. Section A comes with multiple choice questions, Section B comes with multiple select questions, and Section C consists of numerical answer type questions.
The syllabus mainly revolves around the seven subjects. For instance:
- Physics (PH): Kinetic Theory, Modern Physics, Devices and Electronics, among others.
- Mathematics (MA): Differential Equations, Liner Algebra, and Real Analysis.
- Biological Sciences (BL): Molecular Biology, Structure of Biomolecules, and Basics of Biochemistry, among others.
- Chemistry (CY): Bioinorganic Chemistry, Theory of Gases and Atomic as well as Molecular Structures, among others.
- Biotechnology (BT): A mixture of Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics.
- Mathematical Statistics (MS): Random Variables, Joint Distributions, and Probability, among others.
- Geology (GG): Applied Geology, The Planet Earth and Structural Geology, among others.
IIT JAM Admit Card
The admit card for the IIT JAM is going to be released in the month of January, 2018. All those candidates who are eligible and have been accepted to answer the exam can download the card online from the official website.
The admit card consists of the following details:
- Registration Number
- Candidate’s Name
- Test Centre details
If you find any information in the admit card to be incorrect, you can contact the examination authority. It is mandatory to take your admit card to the examination hall when you head to answer the exam. The official answer keys are issued a few days after the exam. For every accurate answer, the candidate obtains positive marks, and for every incorrect one, negative marking is applicable. The final results are declared on the official website, so candidates have to sign in with their ID and password to gain access to these details.