Maharajas Express and Palace on Wheels- both are luxury trains operating in India, aiming to serve their guests with the best of experiences. However, there are indeed differences between the two and that’s why both these trains tailor the experience in their own way.
Let us have a look at some of the key differences:
- When started: Maharajas Express is a very recent addition to the luxury train fleet of India as it started its operations in 2010. Palace on Wheels on the other hand was introduced back in 1982.
- Difference in Itinerary: This is the most fundamental difference between both these trains as Palace on Wheels offers just one travel route whereas Maharajas’ Express puts five routes on offer to choose from. Where Palace on Wheels has the Golden Triangle and some other Rajasthan cities on the single itinerary that it has, Maharajas Express offers two Golden Triangle itineraries also covering cities like Mumbai, Gwalior, Orcha, Varanasi, Lucknow etc in other itineraries.
- Names of guest coaches: Both the trains have 14 guest coaches each. However, there is a difference in the way these coaches have been named. The coaches in Palace of Wheels have been given the names of erstwhile Rajputana princely states and in the case of Maharajas’ Express they have been named after precious gemstones. Both are their own kind of royal, you see!
- Spa car: This is the most recent addition to Palace on Wheels train– guests who wish to rejuvenate and relax themselves can treat themselves with ayurveda massage and therapies in here. Maharajas’ Express doesn’t have a spa car so Palace on Wheels wins here!
- Luxury: Although both the trains stand for the promise of a luxurious tour but Maharajas’ Express scores much higher as the interiors are more aesthetically done, cutlery is gold and silver plated and there is much more to discover while on board. Maharajas’ Express stature has been further strengthened by the numerous awards it has received as compared to Palace on Wheels and the fact that it is regarded as one of the likes of Royal Scotsman or Venice Simplon Orient Express to say.
If you ask us to give a final verdict as to which train is better, we won’t be able to do so. This is because your tastes and preferences might not be the same as someone else’s so there’s no one answer. You can choose according to what your individual preferences are and can request special adjustments such as dietary care or something else. Happy booking!