Maxi is a long, free-flowing, floor/ ankle length informal outfit that may be body fitting on the upper side and loose on the lower side. It is easy to wear, comfortable and elegant. One can wear them on the beach while enjoying vacations or in a party when accompanied with matching accessories.
Origin of Maxi dress:
Stylists in 1940s wore long, colourful, full tiered dresses and which remained the fashion till 1960s. It is predicted that designers got this inspiration of maxi dresses from traditional American designs. Unfortunately, in the 1970s, these long, billowing outfits got out of fashion only to get rejuvenated in the 21st century.
How to Wear It?
Today, maxi dresses are favoured in any season, be it a summer or winter. Designers rely on the fabric that keeps the wearer comfortable. Dressed up with matching simple jewellery and high heeled shoes, it gives a sophisticated and casual look anywhere. Whereas if dressed along with flip-flops and funky accessories like big gemstone necklaces, it makes for a perfect vacation or a beach dress.
If worn with right accessories and if you obey all styling rules related to maxi dressing, the outfit suits all types of bodies and shapes. Let us have a quick look at the tips while wearing maxi dresses.
- Length- Maxi dress must have an appropriate length. It must not be too short or too long. Shorter maxi makes one look shorter. Too long maxi dresses drag on the floor. The length of the dress should be such that the heels of the shoes could be barely seen while walking.
- Plus size- For those who have heavy breasts or prefer the big size of the dress, a maxi dress with straps is always advisable. It not only makes one comfortable but prevents sagging too.
- Skinny people- Those who have lean figure can wear a belt below the waist. It looks elegant and features your curves too. Here it may be a good idea to wear a strapless maxi dress.
- Choice of colour and print- One must choose a solid colour which suits anyone. However, it also depends upon the complexion and figure of the woman. Colours like dark brown, black, dark navy blue look good on plump. While light colours like white, off-white, dusky brown, etc. look good on the lean body.
Print on the maxi dress must be carefully chosen. Big prints look unfashionable and cheap. Small or tiny floral prints look elegant and beautiful.
- Shoes- If maxi is worn as a casual dress, cute sandals or flip-flops are perfect options in such situation. If the dress is to be worn as party wear, then one should add some height by wearing espadrilles or wedges.
Maxi dresses can be worn as casual wear during vacations while chilling out on beaches or as formal party wears when accompanied with matching accessories. If they are carried well, these maxi dresses can look good on any woman.